Christmas is coming. The supermarkets have been reminding us for weeks now with their displays of candy-striped, foil-wrapped and snow-flaked goodies infiltrating our brains with Christmassy thoughts, even though we know there’s well over a month and a half to go.
If, like me, you tend to put off Christmas gift shopping to the last minute, you’ll know how horrible it is fighting your way through the crowds, and how hard it is to make good decisions under the pressure of the looming date.
Managing stress is integral to living a healthier life, so this year we’ve put together a list of Christmas gifts ideas to make the whole thing easier for you. With a bit of planning, you can carve yourself out some time to actually enjoy the silly season, and make some healthy choices for your friends and family while you’re at it.
Here are our 10 best healthy Christmas gift ideas:
- Spiced festive nuts Making something to share is a lovely way to spread cheer. These gorgeous spiced nuts are a delicious and healthy stocking stuffer. View here
- Christmas tea Give the gift of antioxidants! A beautiful, spicy tea is perfect for those who love a good brew. View here
- Gluten-free spiced Christmas biscuits Do you have a friend or family member with a gluten intolerance? There’s no reason they have to miss out on the delicious treats Christmas brings. View here
- Healthy Food Guide A subscription to Healthy Food Guide is the gift that keeps on giving, with practical, trustworthy advice and delicious, nutritious recipes. Subscribe here.
- SodaStream SPIRIT This gorgeous SodaStream soda maker is great for anyone who wants to make water their main drink but needs a bit of encouragement. It adds a bit of fizz to ordinary tap water and comes with reusable bottles, which is a win for the environment. The SodaStream SPIRIT is available in red, white or black. See www.sodastream.co.nz for stockists, RRP $149.
- Chocolate Christmas Pudding truffles These are a really cute way to use up any leftover Christmas cake and are totally Instagrammable. View here
- Oxfam Unwrapped. It’s better to give than to receive, and helping people is a great boost too mental well-being. Aid and development charity Oxfam has a great scheme where you can pay for a unique gift, such as a pig or a goat, to be donated to someone in need on behalf of the ‘gift getter’. This is ideal for people who have everything or for anyone needing a bit of a feel-good gesture. Gifts range in price from $12 for an onion crop to $150 for a donkey. Find out more here: www.oxfam.org
- Vegetarian Favourites Our best vegetarian and vegan recipes have been gathered in one gorgeous cookbook. This is the perfect gift for anyone trying to add more meat-free meals to their repertoire, or for vegetarians and vegans needing inspired and nutritionally-balanced recipes. Head here and click on the ‘Other’ tab to grab one for just $14.95.
- Fig tree Fresh figs often feature in delicious, Mediterranean-inspired recipes, but the season is so short, unless you have your own tree, it’s very hard to source the fruit affordably. If you know a keen gardener with a bit of space, a hardy fig tree is a terrific present that will bring years of tasty joy. Choose the Brunswick variety for two crops per year. View here
- It’s a Beautiful Day diary A diary that has been specially created by Healthy Food Guide nutritionist Claire Turnbull to help you take on healthy habits and make lasting, positive changes to your health and well-being. The diary includes weekly planners, daily motivation, healthy recipes, adult colouring-in pages and more. Order one by heading here and clicking ‘books/e-books’.