An essential in any home cook's pantry, balsamic vinegar is a deliciously versatile ingredient with a complex flavour and origin.
- At just 12kJ per tablespoon, dark balsamic vinegar is one of the lightest salad dressings around!
- Vinegar’s acidity helps slow digestion and lower the glycaemic index (GI) of your meal, helping you feel full for longer.
- The best-tasting varieties age for at least 12 years and some spend more than 50 years in wooden barrels to develop their rich flavour.
- Unlike most vinegars (which are made of wine), balsamic vinegar is an extract of unfermented aged grapes.
- Real balsamic vinegar comes from only one of two Italian cities — Modena or Reggio Emilia.