Water is so important for your health – and all you have to do is turn on the tap for a fresh supply.
Water is really important for your body’s health. Your body is made up of about two-thirds water.
You lose water…
- through the pores in the skin
- when you go to the toilet (water passes through your kidneys)
You can get water…
- by drinking it
- from food you eat
How water is used in your body
- Blood is mostly water.
- Your brain also needs water. When there is not enough water to go around, the brain then sends out a stronger message to the body to either drink some water or get some from food. Sometimes you might feel tired and you think you are hungry but a drink of water or some fruit is sometimes best when you feel this way.
- Foods with a lot of water in them can be helpful for keeping your energy at a stable level and for keeping the heart and brain happy. It is important to keep energy levels stable so you don’t eat more food than your body needs.
- You need enough water as well as fibre every day to help move your bowels (do number twos!).
Water content of…
- Pears = 84%
- Apples = 84%
- Oranges = 86%
- Cabbage = 92%
- Spinach = 93%
- Cucumber = 96%
Find these water-filled veges and fruit (words can be up, down, forwards, backwards or diagonal).
Check out the other cool stuff in our Kids’ specials!
Kids’ special: Carbohydrates? Sweet as
Kids’ special: Protein power
Kids’ special: Fibre is full on!
Kids’ special: Dairy delicious
Kids’ special: Processed food
Kids’ special: Snack attack
Kids’ special: Fat