What you choose to eat between your main meals can make all the difference to how much energy and brain power you have.
A snack is a smaller-sized meal you eat between breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Why are snacks helpful?
- Snacks can keep energy levels balanced
- Snacks can help give your body all the nutrients it needs
- Snacks can keep you feeling satisfied until your next meal
- An after-school snack can help give nutrients for your brain for doing homework
What’s in a snack?
- Fruit and vegetable snacks give you some parent carbohydrate, fibre and water. This will give you energy and fill you up.
- Dairy snacks add protein which, along with helping you grow, also helps you feel full.
- Bread, toast or another snack with grains such as a muesli bar, or small bowl of muesli, gives you some parent carbohydrate for energy and a little fibre
- Here’s an idea, Fruit and muesli slice
Mix ‘n’ match your snacks
- a banana on toast
- an apple and a pottle of low-fat yoghurt
- a muesli bar and a mandarin
- carrot sticks with hummus
Healthy snack options
- 1 banana
- 1 orange
- 1 apple
- 1 boiled egg
- 1 slice toasted fruit bread and a little peanut butter
- Carrot sticks and hummus
- Wholegrain crackers and a slice of cheese
- Glass of low-fat milk
- Pottle or small bowl of low-fat yoghurt
- 2 cups of popcorn (without added sugar or salt)
- 1/4 cup of unsalted nuts
- Berry smoothie
Some snacks can have a lot of fat and also a lot of sugar. These kinds of snack only give you energy for a short time. Remember: extra kilojoules (calories) which aren’t used up during physical activity are empty energy (see Kids’ special: Processed food for a reminder). Extra kilojoules can change into body fat. So foods with a lot of fat and a lot of sugar are treats – best saved for only special occasions.
Food for thought
Have a glass of water with these cookies for an afternoon snack.
Check out the other cool stuff in our Kids’ specials!
Kids’ special: Carbohydrates? Sweet as
Kids’ special: Protein power
Kids’ special: Fibre is full on!
Kids’ special: Dairy delicious
Kids’ special: Processed food
Kids’ special: Water
Kids’ special: Fat