Cinnamon chicken with couscousReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 medium boneless chicken breast, skin removed and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plain flourall purpose flourX
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 300g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, drained
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2½ cups hot chicken stock
- 1-2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts or almond slivers (optional)
- ¼ cup raisins
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful fresh coriandercilantroX, chopped
- For the couscous
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 cups chicken stock, boiling
1 Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and gently fry the chicken until sealed and turning golden. Toss in the chopped onion and reduce the heat, cooking until the onion is soft.
2 Add the flour and spices and gradually stir in the hot stock. Mix continuously as you trickle in the liquid.
3 Add the raisins, lemon zest and chickpeas and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
4 To prepare the couscous, place in a large bowl, pour over the hot chicken stock and mix gently, ensuring all the couscous is moistened, then cover it with a plate or lid and set aside for around 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork, then spoon onto a serving platter.
5 Add half the toasted nuts and half the coriander to the sauce. Taste and season with pepper. Spoon onto the prepared couscous, and garnish with the remaining nuts (if using) and coriander.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 6.8g
–Saturated fat 1.8g
Dietary fibre 7.2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information