Grilled tofu with miso sauce, carrot pickle and sesame greens
- 1 cup white rice
- ¼ cup quinoa
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar
- 4 carrots, peeled in thin ribbons
- 2 x 275g blocks tofu
- 4 tablespoons white miso paste (we used Urban Hippie Misomite)
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons castor sugar
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed
- 2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 2cm piece raw ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Combine rice and quinoa in a pot and cover with water by about 2cm. Bring to the boil then lower heat to very low, cover and cook on low heat until water is absorbed and rice and quinoa are tender — for about 25 minutes.
- Meantime, to make carrot pickle, combine rice wine vinegar, water and sugar in a bowl and stir until sugar is combined. Add carrots and toss to coat in dressing. Set aside
- Preheat oven grill to a medium-high heat. Slice each block of tofu in half horizontally, then into three long slices. Line a baking dish with baking paper and place tofu in dish.
- Combine miso, mirin, second measure of castor sugar and water in a jug. Stir to combine and make a smooth sauce. Brush or spoon sauce over tofu slices, reserving a little to finish the dish. Place tofu under grill and cook until heated through and golden on top.
- Meanwhile, to make greens combine beans, spinach and ginger in a bowl. Mix well. Steam or microwave beans, spinach and ginger for 2-3 minutes until tender-crisp. Toss in sesame oil.
- Remove tofu from oven and serve with carrot, greens and cooked rice and quinoa mix.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 8g
Make it gluten free: Check mirin is gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us