Sesame avocado and salmon sushi balls
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 small Thai red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- ¼ cup gluten-free, reduced-salt tamari
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- ½ avocado, very thinly sliced crossways, halved lengthways
- 2 slices smoked salmon, each cut into 6cm pieces
- ¹⁄³ sheet toasted nori, cut into 5mm strips (to make 12 strips)
1 Place rice in a sieve and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear. Drain well.
2 Meanwhile, place chilli, ginger and tamari in a small dish. Set aside to allow flavours to infuse.
3 Transfer rice to a saucepan. Add 1½ cups cold water and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove pan from heat and allow to stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
4 Transfer rice to a large glass or ceramic bowl. Using a spatula, break up any lumps. Gently fold vinegar and sugar through rice, lifting and turning until rice has cooled. Stir in sesame seeds. Cover bowl with a damp tea towel and stand for 5 minutes.
5 Using damp hands, roll level tablespoons of rice into balls and place on a serving platter. Top half the rice balls with avocado slices and remaining half with salmon pieces and a strip of nori down the centre. Serve sushi balls with chilli ginger dipping sauce on the side.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 1g
–Saturated fat 0.2g
Dietary fibre 0.4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.