Cheddar, bean and coriander-stuffed kumara
(at time of publication)
- 4 orange kumarasweet-potatoX
- cracked black pepper
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 long green chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 400g can no-added-salt kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- ½ cup grated reduced-fat cheddar
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Prick kumara all over with a sharp knife. Place in a microwave-safe container and microwave on high for 10 minutes, or until soft.
2 When cool enough to handle, cut a long opening into the top of each kumara, being careful to leave ends uncut. Using a tea towel to hold kumara, scoop out centres, leaving 1cm-thick shells.
3 Place kumara flesh in a bowl and season with pepper. Mash with a fork. Stir in spring onion, chilli (if using), kidney beans and half the coriander. Spoon the filling back into kumara shells. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
4 Place kumara on prepared tray. Bake for 10 minutes, or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining coriander and serve.
- To bake kumara (instead of microwaving), preheat oven to 180°C. Place kumara on a baking tray, drizzle with a little oil and bake for 45 minutes, or until tender. Set aside to cool slightly before continuing from step 2.
- To make this a more substantial meal, add 450g coleslaw mix, dressed with 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar.
- To up the protein, add more cheese, or serve with a small lean steak.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 4g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information