Cheddar, bean and coriander-stuffed sweet potatoes
- 4 orange sweet potatoes
- cracked black pepper
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 long green chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 400g can no-added-salt kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- ½ cup grated reduced-fat cheddar
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Prick sweet potatoes all over with a sharp knife. Place in a microwave-safe container and microwave on high for 10 minutes, or until soft.
2 When cool enough to handle, cut a long opening into the top of each sweet potato, being careful to leave ends uncut. Using a tea towel to hold sweet potato, scoop out centres, leaving 1cm-thick shells.
3 Place sweet potato flesh in a bowl and season with pepper. Mash with a fork. Stir in spring onion, chilli (if using), kidney beans and half the coriander. Spoon the filling back into sweet potato shells. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
4 Place sweet potatoes on prepared tray. Bake for 10 minutes, or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining coriander and serve.
- To bake sweet potatoes (instead of microwaving), preheat oven to 180°C. Place sweet potatoes on a baking tray, drizzle with a little oil and bake for 45 minutes, or until tender. Set aside to cool slightly before continuing from step 2.
- To make this a more substantial meal, add 450g coleslaw mix, dressed with 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar.
- To up the protein, add more cheese, or serve with a small lean steak.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 4g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
Kumara, sweet potato recipes