Fish pies with fennel and leek
Time to make: 55 mins
( Hands-on time: 25 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 40g reduced-fat spread
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 2 medium-sized leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup trim milk
- 1 cup liquid fish stock
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 650g boneless firm fish fillets, cut in 3cm pieces
- 3 sheets filo pastry
- oil spray
- 8 cups salad greens, dressed with 1/4 cup vinaigrette (made with 3:1 balsamic vinegar to olive oil)
Total fat 18g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 5g
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Melt spread in a large saucepan set over a medium heat. Add fennel, leeks and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
2 Add flour to saucepan. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Stir milk and stock gradually into mixture. Cook for 5 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Stir mustard, lemon juice and tarragon into mixture. Remove pan from heat. Add fish. Stir to coat. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
3 Divide fish mixture among 4 x 1 1/2-cup-capacity baking dishes. Cut filo pastry in thick strips, scrunch over dishes and spray lightly with oil. Place dishes in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden.
Make it gluten free: Use rice flour instead of standard flour, check fish stock is gluten free, and top with thin slices of potato instead of filo.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us