Fragrant Vietnamese chicken soup
- 4 Asian shallots, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 star anise
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled, sliced
- 1 stick lemongrass, bruised, cut into 4cm lengths
- 2 cups reduced-salt gluten-free chicken stock
- 500g skinless chicken breast fillets
- 200g snow peas, halved
- 2 large carrots, cut into zoodles
- 2 baby bok choy, trimmed, leaves separated
- 1 cup trimmed beansprouts, plus extra, to serve
- 150g dried rice stick noodles
- sliced fresh chilli and coriandercilantroX leaves, to garnish (optional)
1 Lightly spray a large saucepan with olive oil. Place over medium heat. Cook the garlic, the shallots, cinnamon, star anise, ginger and the lemongrass, stirring, for about 1–2 minutes, or until fragrant. Add stock and 3 cups of water; bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
2 Add chicken to stock mixture. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer to a clean board and set aside to cool. Shred with two forks.
3 Strain stock and discard solids. Return stock to saucepan, place over medium-high heat and bring to the boil. Add snow peas and carrot, and simmer for 2 minutes. Add bok choy and bean sprouts, and remove from heat.
4 Meanwhile, cook the noodles as per packet instructions. Drain.
5 Divide noodles and shredded chicken between four serving bowls. Ladle over hot stock and the vegetables, and garnish with the bean sprouts, fresh chilli and coriander (if using).
To add a restaurant-style feel to this chicken soup, serve with a plate of fresh herbs such as Thai basil, mint and coriander.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 6.7g
–Saturated fat 1.3g
Dietary fibre 7.3g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.