French onion soupReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat spread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.2kg onions, peeled, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 6 cups water
- 12 x 1cm-thick slices baguette (French-style bread stick)
- ¼ cup grated reduced-fat tasty cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
1 Heat spread and oil in a large, deep saucepan over a medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, for 25-35 minutes or until golden. Add sugar and stir to blend. Add flour and stir to blend.
2 Slowly add stock and water, stirring constantly, until combined. Bring to the boil then reduce heat. Simmer for 25 minutes.
3 Meanwhile, preheat grill to high. Place bread slices on a baking tray. Grill both sides until golden. Sprinkle with cheeses. Grill until cheese has melted.
4 Ladle soup into bowls and serve with cheese toasts.
Make it gluten free: Check stock is gluten free. Use gluten-free flour and bread.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information