Gingerbread men hanging decoration
(at time of publication)
- 1 banana
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons
- ground almonds
- 1 cup high-grade flour
- 1 ½ cups wholemeal flour
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins
1 Preheat oven to 170ºC. In a large mixing bowl place banana and mash with a fork. Add eggs and almonds. Mix until combined. Add remaining ingredients except raisins. Mix well.
2 If the dough sticks to your fingers, add another 1/4 cup high-grade flour. Divide the dough in two portions. Roll each portion between 2 sheets of baking paper until 1cm thick. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
3 Cut out gingerbread men figures. Decorate with raisins (face and buttons). With a straw, cut out a hole (for the string) in the centre of the forehead. Bake for 10-15 minutes until firm. Wait until cool, thread through a decorative string and hang on the tree. Or store in an airtight container if you want to eat them.
- You can use LSA (linseed, sunflower seeds, ground almonds) instead of ground almond.
- Add 1 tablespoon orange zest to the dough for a distinct Christmas-y aroma.
- Don’t feel limited to gingerbread men. Try making angels, stars, Christmas trees, reindeer and anything else you can think of.
This recipe has no baking soda or baking powder so the cookies won’t rise. They will be more crunchy instead.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 2g
saturated fat N/S
Dietary fibre 2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information