Really fruity Christmas cake
- 1 cup pitted prunes, finely chopped
- ¾ cup mixed dried apple and pear, finely chopped
- ¾ cup dried apricots, finely chopped
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 1 green apple, coarsely grated
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon brandy (optional)
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon low-fat spread
- ⅓ cup brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX alternative
- zest 1 orange, plus 4 tablespoons juice
- 1½ cups wholemeal plain flourall purpose flourX
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons icingfrostingX sugar, to dust (optional)
1 Put the dried fruits, grated apple, vanilla extract and brandy (if using) in a large bowl. Cover and leave to soak overnight.
2 Heat the oven to 150°C/fan 130°C/gas 2. Line the base and sides of a deep 20cm diameter cake tin with 2 sheets of baking paper, leaving 3cm paper standing above the tin.
3 Melt the low-fat spread in a medium pan over a medium-low heat. Remove from the heat, then add the sugar alternative and orange zest, stirring until the sugar alternative dissolves.
Sift all the dry ingredients (but not the icing sugar) into a large bowl. Add the soaked fruits, melted spread mixture, orange juice and eggs, stirring until combined. Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin and even out the surface.
4 Bake for 1½–2 hr until a skewer pushed into the centre of the cake comes out clean (cover with a sheet of foil if it browns too quickly). Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10 min before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating the cake with a dusting of icing sugar. If you like, tie a ribbon around it.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 3.7g
–Saturated fat 0.8g
Dietary fibre 3.7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.