Mussels with fennel and cannellini beans in white wine broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large leek, trimmed, white part thinly sliced
- 1 baby fennel bulb, trimmed, finely chopped and fronds finely chopped, to garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup white wine
- ½ cup water
- 1.2kg mussels, debearded, shells scrubbed
- 400g can cannellini beans in spring water, rinsed, drained (we used Ceres Organics)
- 4 cups baby rocketarugulaX
- 100g store-bought roast red capsicum, sliced
- 4 slices sourdough, to serve
1 Heat olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium-low heat. Add leek and fennel and cook, stirring, for 6-7 minutes, or until vegetables soften. Add garlic to pan and cook, stirring, for 1 more minute.
2 Increase heat to high and add white wine to saucepan. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add water, mussels and cannellini beans. Cover pan tightly and simmer, shaking pan occasionally, for 6-7 minutes or until mussels open (discard any unopened ones).
3 Meanwhile, toss rocket and roast capsicum in a salad bowl.
4 Remove saucepan from heat. Season mussels and broth with cracked black pepper, then ladle into 4 bowls. Garnish with fennel fronds and serve with a slice of sourdough and salad.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 6g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 9g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread.
Mussels are high in sodium so this recipe is not suitable for anyone on a low-sodium diet.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.