Vegetarian chilli con ‘carne’ sweet potatoes
- 4 small (275g) sweet potatoes/ kumarasweet-potatoX, scrubbed and dried
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded, diced into 1cm pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 400g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- ½ cup reduced-fat plain yoghurt
- 1 medium ripe avocado, diced
- 200g reduced-salt natural corn sweetcornXchips
- fresh coriandercilantroX leaves and lime wedges, to serve
1 Preheat the oven to 180°C. Wrap each sweet potato in foil and place onto a large baking tray. Bake for 50–55 minutes.
2 Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil, set over medium heat. Add onion, capsicum and garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring often, for 4–5 minutes, until softening. Stir in paprika, coriander and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes. Cover and simmer mixture, stirring occasionally, over a medium-low heat for 10–12 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender. Stir through the beans and simmer for 5 minutes.
3 Cut an opening lengthways into the top of each sweet potato. Gently squeeze potato sides to open. Top each with the bean mixture, yoghurt, diced avocado and coriander. Serve with corn chips and lime wedges.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16.1g
–Saturated fat 6.2g
Dietary fibre 19.1g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information