Red lentil and vegetable dhal
(at time of publication)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 fresh chilli, deseeded, finely chopped or ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 4 cups chopped seasonal vegetables, eg. potatoes, carrots, courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, celery, leeks, pumpkin, kumarasweet-potatoX
- 1 ½ cups red lentils
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriandercilantroX
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger or minced ginger
- 400g can light coconut cream (we used Trident)
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup salt-reduced liquid vegetable stock
- 1 cup frozen peas or 1 small bunch spinach/silver beet (optional)
1 Turn the slow cooker on high while preparing ingredients. Add ingredients to slow cooker in order listed. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 7-9 hours or until lentils are dissolved. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2 If adding peas (spinach or silver beet), add at the end then cook for 10 more minutes.
Serve with basmati or brown rice, naan or other flat bread.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free sweet chilli sauce and stock. Check ground spices are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.