Slow-cooked beef ragout with gnocchiReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 425g beef chuck steak, trimmed, cut in 2.5cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup salt-reduced beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 200g (1 ¾ cups) butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut in 2.5cm pieces
- 400g packet potato gnocchi
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1 Heat oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add carrot, celery, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Increase heat to high. Add beef and cook for 5 minutes, or until browned all over. Add tomato paste and chilli.Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
2 Add tomatoes, stock and water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 1 hour 15 minutes. Add pumpkin and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until tender.
3 Meanwhile, preheat grill. Cook gnocchi following packet directions. Drain. Add to ragoût. Stir to coat. Transfer mixture to a 6-cup capacity ovenproof dish (or 4 x 1 1/2-cup capacity dishes). Sprinkle with parmesan. Grill for 4-5 minutes, or until golden. Serve.
You can omit 1/2 cup stock and replace it with red wine.
Use this sauce with any pasta or for layering in lasagne.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information