Aromatic lamb stew
(at time of publication)
- 400g lamb, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- oil spray
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 cups diced vegetables such as carrots, potatoes
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups salt-reduced liquid chicken stock made with
- 2 cups boiling water mixed with 2 teaspoons salt-reduced chicken stock powder
- 1 ½ cups tomato passata
- 2 cups chopped uncooked rhubarb
- ¼ cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, plus extra, to garnish
- 1 ½ cups couscous
1 Turn slow cooker on to low. Toss lamb in cinnamon and turmeric. Heat a non-stick pan with oil spray and cook in batches to brown evenly. Once all browned return to pan with onions and cook for a few minutes.
2 Add lamb and onions to slow cooker with the remaining vegetables, tomato paste, stock and passata. Stir well. Cook on low for 4 hours.
3 Add rhubarb, dates and sugar. Mix well and cook for 2 more hours. Stir in mint. Season to taste.
4 Place couscous in a bowl and add 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Leave to stand for 5 minutes. Fluff couscous and serve with lamb stew and garnish with mint.
Make it gluten free: Check spices, tomato paste, stock and passata are gluten free. Serve with brown rice instead of couscous.
There is no need to thicken this stew as the rhubarb does the job and gives this dish great depth.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 13g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information