Baked green eggs with bread salad
- 2 bunches asparagus, cut into 2cm pieces
- 120g baby spinach
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 8 eggs
- 400g mixed cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g piece sourdough bread, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup small basil leaves
- cracked black pepper, to taste
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Cook the asparagus and spinach in a medium saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes, or until just tender. Drain well. Divide the vegetables into 4 x 1 1/2-cup shallow ovenproof dishes.
2 Combine cream and pesto in a small bowl. Pour pesto mixture over vegetables. Make 2 small indents in each dish of vegetable mixture. Crack 1 egg into each indent. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the egg whites are set.
3 Meanwhile, combine the cherry tomatoes, bread, onion, vinegar and half of the basil in a medium salad bowl. Season with cracked black pepper and toss gently to combine. Serve eggs with salad and garnish with remaining basil.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 5g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and check pesto is gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us