Easy corn and capsicum quiches
- 12 slices wholemeal bread, crusts removed
- oil spray
- 1 cup grated edam cheese
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 440g can creamed corn
- ½ green capsicum, finely diced
1 Preheat oven to 170ºC. Spray a regular muffin tin (12-holes per tin) with oil spray, cut bread in circles or squares to fit and press into holes (allow enough so the bread extends a little from the top). Spray lightly with oil and bake for 10 minutes until golden brown, dry and crisp.
2 Turn oven up to 180ºC. Combine filling ingredients and spoon into cooked bread cases. Bake for 15 minutes or until filling is set.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 3g
- Instead of bread cases try using Wholemeal pastry or Gluten-free pastry (see Tips).
- Try these other fillings: Spinach, cottage cheese, feta and egg; Low-fat cheese sauce with asparagus; Baked beans, finely chopped celery, spring onion and grated edam cheese.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and check sweet corn is gluten free.
A delicious light scone-style pastry that also works well as a pizza base. Mix 2 cups warm mashed potato with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder and enough gluten-free flour (approx 1 1/2 cups) to make a firmish dough. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling out. For easy rolling and transfer, roll between layers of plastic wrap.
Sieve 1 1/2 cups plain flour, 1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt into a mixer. Add 100g reduced fat spread and process to a fine crumb. Alternatively, rub spread into flours and salt until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add lukewarm water until it can be moulded into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and leave to cool for 30 minutes in the fridge. Leave at room temperature for 10 minutes or warm a little in microwave before rolling out.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us