Eggplant caponata with cheesy potato topping
(at time of publication)
- 4 large potatoes, peeled, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 eggplantaubergineX, diced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes*
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste*
- ½ cup pitted black olives, cut in half
- ¼ cup capers
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon reduced-fat spread
- dash trim milk
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese*
- salt and black pepper, to season
- *NOTE: Ingredients with an asterisk (*) indicate that although this ingredient is usually gluten-free, it's wise to check the label to be sure as product ingredients can vary and formulations can change.
1 Fill a large saucepan with cold water. Add potatoes and boil for 10 minutes until soft to mash. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2 Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, heat oil on a medium heat and add onion and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add celery and eggplant and cook for 3 more minutes until vegetables soften and brown. Add tomatoes and tomato paste and simmer for 5 minutes until thickened. Stir in olives, capers and basil then remove from heat.
3 Drain then return potatoes to saucepan. Add spread and milk. Mash until smooth then add half the parmesan. Season to taste and combine well.
4 Pour tomato mixture into a large baking dish then pile the potato on top in even amounts and spread with a fork to cover. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan on top.
5 Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and serve.
Vegetables or salad
Add some pesto to the mashed potato.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us