Indian–style lentil, rice and courgette fritters
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded, diced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 courgette, grated, squeezed of excess moisture
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 400g can no-added-salt brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 4 green shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup gluten-free plain flourall purpose flourX
- mixed salad leaves and sliced baby cucumbers, to serve
- ¼ cup reduced-fat plain yoghurt, to serve
1 Lightly spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over medium-high heat. Sauté capsicum, carrot and courgette for 3–4 minutes,
or until just softened. Add curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1–2 minutes, or until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
2 Combine lentils and rice in large bowl and mash with a fork, keeping some texture. Add the cooked vegetables, shallots, coriander, egg and flour; stir
until well combined.
3 Lightly spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and set over medium-high heat. Spoon ¼ cup quantities of mixture into pan to make 3 fritters. Cook for 2–3 minutes each side, or until golden and cooked through. Repeat to make 12 fritters in total.
4 Serve fritters with salad leaves, baby cucumbers and a dollop of yoghurt.
Spray food with extra-virgin olive oil to add flavour with a low-calorie crunch.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 2.9g
–Saturated fat 0.6g
Dietary fibre 8.4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.