Kumara with bean ratatouille
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 4 medium-sized kumarasweet-potatoX, scrubbed
- 1 cup chopped button mushrooms
- 1/2 courgette, cubed
- 1 teaspoon reduced-fat spread
- 420g can Mexican-flavoured baked beans (we used Wattie’s)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated edam cheese
- 4 cups mesclun salad with a little vinaigrette
Total fat 7g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 11g
1 Prick kumara with a fork. Place kumara on a microwave-proof dish and cook in microwave on full power for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
2 To make ratatouille, place mushrooms and courgette in a microwave-proof bowl. Add spread, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3 Add beans and tomatoes to mushroom mix. Stir well and microwave for 2 more minutes until heated through.
4 Spoon ratatouille on top of each kumara and serve sprinkled with a little cheese and salad.
Microwave cooking tips
- Always check cooking dishes are suitable for use in the microwave. Pyrex works well.
- Testing dishes for microwave cooking: Place a glass of water and the dish to test in the microwave. Cook on full power for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove the dish and glass from microwave. Test the water with your finger. Warm water and a cool dish means the dish will be safe for microwave use. Cool water and a warm or hot dish mean that the dish is not suitable for the microwave.
- Have oven gloves ready to handle dishes after microwaving.
- Stand food for a few minutes before removing from microwave to avoid any steam and spitting.
- Getting rid of odours: Place 1-2 lemon slices in microwave in a small bowl of water. Heat on full power for 1 minute then leave in microwave for 5 minutes to allow odours to be absorbed into the water.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)