Kumara with bean ratatouille
- 4 medium-sized kumarasweet-potatoX, scrubbed
- 1 cup chopped button mushrooms
- ½ courgette, cubed
- 1 teaspoon reduced-fat spread
- 420g can Mexican-flavoured baked beans (we used Wattie’s)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup grated edam cheese
- 4 cups mesclun salad with a little vinaigrette
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Prick kumara with a fork. Place kumara on a microwave-proof dish and cook in microwave on full power for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
2 To make ratatouille, place mushrooms and courgette in a microwave-proof bowl. Add spread, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3 Add beans and tomatoes to mushroom mix. Stir well and microwave for 2 more minutes until heated through.
4 Spoon ratatouille on top of each kumara and serve sprinkled with a little cheese and salad.
Microwave cooking tips
- Always check cooking dishes are suitable for use in the microwave. Pyrex works well.
- Testing dishes for microwave cooking: Place a glass of water and the dish to test in the microwave. Cook on full power for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove the dish and glass from microwave. Test the water with your finger. Warm water and a cool dish means the dish will be safe for microwave use. Cool water and a warm or hot dish mean that the dish is not suitable for the microwave.
- Have oven gloves ready to handle dishes after microwaving.
- Stand food for a few minutes before removing from microwave to avoid any steam and spitting.
- Getting rid of odours: Place 1-2 lemon slices in microwave in a small bowl of water. Heat on full power for 1 minute then leave in microwave for 5 minutes to allow odours to be absorbed into the water.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
Kumara, sweet potato recipes
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.