Mexican baked eggs in tortilla baskets
- 4 small wholegrain tortillas
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 long green chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow capsicum, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 250g punnet mini Roma tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes), halved lengthways
- 400g can no-added-salt kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- ¹⁄³ cup chopped fresh coriandercilantroX leaves, plus extra to serve
- 4 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 small avocado, diced
- lime wedges, to serve
1 Preheat oven to 160°C. Lightly spray four 1½-cup capacity (5–6cm deep) ovenproof dishes with oil. Gently ease a tortilla into each dish to form a basket.
2 Lightly spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, chilli and capsicum and cook, stirring, for 4–5 minutes or until softened. Add cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomatoes and beans, stirring to combine. Cover and bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 8–10 minutes or until thickened. Add coriander, stirring to combine.
3 Spoon tomato mixture into tortilla baskets. Make a small indentation, then crack an egg into each basket. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until eggs are almost set. Top with avocado, season with freshly ground black pepper and serve garnished with extra coriander leaves and lime wedges on the side.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 13g
–Saturated fat 3.9g
Dietary fibre 14.6g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.