(at time of publication)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons piri piri sauce (or curry paste)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced lengthwise and chopped
- 2 cups (250g) 2cm cubed pumpkin
- 1 green capsicum, roughly chopped
- 1 red capsicum, roughly chopped
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g can light coconut milk
- ½ cup fruit chutney
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 cups roughly chopped kale
- juice of 1 lemon or lime
- To serve
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup low-fat plain yoghurt
- 4 mini wholemeal pita
- ¼ cup chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
1 In a large bowl, combine first 6 ingredients. Add chicken and stir to coat well.
2 In slow cooker, heat oil on high. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken, plus all remaining ingredients, except kale and lemon/lime juice. Stir and cover. Reduce heat to low and cook for 6-8 hours.
3 Ten minutes before serving, add kale and lemon/lime juice and stir through.
4 Serve with brown rice and yoghurt, with wholemeal pitas on the side. Garnish with coriander.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 11g
If you use dried kidney beans rather than canned they should not be cooked from raw in a slow cooker, because if they’re under-cooked they contain a toxic protein that can make you sick. Make sure you soak them overnight first, then boil them for 10 minutes and simmer for a further 40 minutes before adding them to the slow cooker.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us