Steak sandwich with caramelised onion and capsicum
- 2 x 200g scotch fillet steaks, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard, plus extra 1 tablespoon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- oil spray
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow capsicum, deseeded, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon castor sugar
- 8 slices wholegrain sourdough, toasted
- 2 cups baby cos lettuce leaves
- 2 small Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce, to serve
1 Slice horizontally through steak middles to make 4 thin steaks. Mix Worcestershire sauce, mustard and garlic in a non-metallic dish. Add steaks and turn to coat. Cover dish Marinate for 30 minutes.
2 Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick frying pan with oiland set over a medium-low heat. Add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until onions are soft. Add capsicums and sugar to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until vegetables lightly caramelise. Transfer onions and capsicums to a bowl. Set aside.
3 Spray cleaned frying pan with oil and return to a high heat. Drain steaks of excess marinade. Cook each side for 2 minutes or to your liking. Transfer steaks to a plate. Cover loosely with tinfoil and leave to rest for 2-3 minutes.
4 Spread each sourdough toast slice with 1 teaspoon extra mustard. Top with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, 1 steak slice, caramelised onion and capsicum. Drizzle sandwiches with BBQ sauce and serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 5g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread. Check Worcestershire, mustard and BBQ sauces are gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.