Tomato-quinoa soup with herbs
(at time of publication)
- 2 x 400g cans no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 2 medium-sized carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium-sized onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup liquid reduced-salt vegetable stock
- ¼ cup finely shredded fresh basil
- 3 ½ cups boiling water
- ⅓ cup (60g) quinoa
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 8 slices wholegrain bread, toasted
1 Place a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add tomatoes, carrots, celery and onion to pan with garlic, oregano, stock, 2 tablespoons of the basil and boiling water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until soup thickens. Purée soup with a stick blender until smooth.
2 Meanwhile, cook quinoa in a medium-sized saucepan following packet directions. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
3 Combine remaining basil with mint and parsley in a small bowl. Stir reserved quinoa into soup with herbs and serve with bread.
Make it gluten free: Check stock is gluten-free and use gluten-free bread.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 4g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.