Vege chilli tortillasReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 cup (around 50g) textured soya protein (TVP)
- 1 cup hot vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli seasoning
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt and pepper, to season
- Avocado salad
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce,
- to season
- 4 light or wholemeal tortillas
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- ½ iceberg lettuce, sliced thinly
1 Put TVP in a bowl. Pour over stock. Leave TVP to soak for 10 minutes until softened, then drain.
2 Heat oil in a frying pan. Add onion and gently fry for 5 minutes until soft. Add TVP. Fry for 4 more minutes, or until browned. Sprinkle chilli seasoning over and stir well.
3 Add chopped tomatoes and tomato paste. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until thickened. Season to taste, then remove from heat.
4 For avocado salad, place avocado, onion, tomatoes, lemon juice, tarragon and Tabasco in a bowl. Gently mix. Season to taste.
5 Heat tortillas. Fill with lettuce, TVP mixture, avocado salad and sour cream. Roll up and serve.
TVP is dried and needs rehydrating before use.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 25g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information