Wholemeal seed loaf
Time to make: 4 hrs
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 370ml water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-fat spread
- 1/2 cup mixed seeds such as sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soft brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 2 tablespoons skim milk powder
- 2 3/4 cups high grade flour
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
Total fat 4g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 3g
1 Place ingredients in the bread pan in the order listed.
2 Place pan in the bread-maker, secure and close the lid.
3 Select the programme suitable for wheat bread (in this case – 4). Select a dark crust and a 750g loaf size. Press start. The loaf will be ready in 3 1/2–4 hours.
4 Remove pan from the chamber. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing. Slice when cold.
- We used a Sunbeam Quantum Smart Bake model bread-maker for this recipe.
- Always use accurate measurements – use measuring cups and spoons for all ingredients. Measure salt carefully – it is needed to add flavour but too much inhibits rising.
- Place liquid in the bread-maker first then dry ingredients. Finally add yeast. This will ensure a well-risen loaf. Add liquids at room temperature or slightly warm.
- Always choose the correct bread size and crust type for the loaf you’re making.
- In order for the bread to rise, the flour has to have a sufficiently high protein content, so when white flour is stated in a recipe, use high grade or ‘strong’ flour. Do not use self-raising flour.
- Wheat breads tend to be heavier in texture and slightly smaller in size. A lighter loaf can be achieved by combining wheat flour with a white flour which may be preferred for a wholewheat bread.
- Sugar is necessary to brown the crust, sweeten the bread and help the yeast in proving the bread.
- Once the bread is cooked, remove the pan from the bread chamber immediately. Leave the bread in the pan for 10 minutes to harden a little then remove and cool on a cooling rack. Do not leave bread in the pan for longer than 10 minutes as this can give a damp bread.