Baked meatballs with tomato, olives and ricotta
- oil spray
- 500g lean pork mince
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 small carrot, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 1 large courgette, diced
- ¼ cup pitted, sliced kalamata olives
- ⅓ cup ricotta
- 4 medium potatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup trim milk
- 2 bunches steamed broccolini, or 6 cups steamed broccoli florets, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Lightly spray a 1.5L (6-cup) capacity ovenproof dish with oil. In a large bowl, combine mince, parsley, carrot and zest. Shape mince mixture into 12 large meatballs (about 2 tablespoons each).
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and set over high heat. Cook meatballs, turning, for 3–4 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to baking dish (meatballs will not be cooked through).
- Return same pan to medium heat and spray with a little more oil. Gently fry onion for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for a further 1 minute. Add tomatoes, courgette, olives and 1/2 cup water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 8–10 minutes, or until thick. Carefully pour tomato mixture over meatballs and dot top with ricotta. Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbling.
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes for about 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain, return to saucepan with milk, and mash until smooth. Serve meatballs with mash and steamed broccolini.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us