Breakfast muffin in a mug
The ultimate low cost, healthy breakfast treat! This breakfast muffin in a mug is guaranteed to warm the you up on a cold winters morning. High in calcium and fibre, so easy and quick to make in this is a great one for the kids to make in 15 minutes.
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 3 tablespoons wholemeal flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup blueberries, raspberries, or both, fresh or frozen then defrosted
- 2 tablespoons low-fat natural yoghurt
Total fat 14g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 10g
- In a bowl, combine flour, nuts, seeds and baking powder. Add egg and beat into the flour mixture with a fork. Stir in banana and honey.
- Pour into a large microwave-safe mug. Add berries on top and microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds on high. If centre looks wet, microwave another 30 seconds.
- Wait 5 minutes for the muffin to cool. Serve with yoghurt.
Having type 2 diabetes, or pre-diabetes, doesn't mean you can't enjoy amazing food! Here are hundreds of healthy and delicious type-2 diabetes-friendly recipes. Browse hundreds of recipes with a gluten-free option. Easy and healthy gluten free meals, delicious cakes and desserts. Browse hundreds of high-calcium recipes. Delicious and healthy meal ideas with high calcium ingredients. Browse hundreds of high-fibre recipes. Delicious and healthy meal ideas with high fibre ingredients. Browse hundreds of low sodium recipes. Lower your sodium intake with delicious and healthy meal ideas.
- For extra zing, add 1 teaspoon lemon juice or orange zest.
- You can replace the poppy seeds with flax, sunflower or chia seeds.\
- You can replace the walnuts with pecan or pine nuts, or other strong-flavoured nuts.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour and check baking powder is gluten free.
- This recipe was made in a 1100W microwave, so cooking time will vary depending on the strength of your microwave. Increase or decrease cooking time by 10 seconds and check regularly.
- Start microwaving as soon as you add the berries to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the mug.
- The yoghurt will help cool down the muffin, but be aware that it’ll come out of the microwave extremely hot.
- The best mug to use is a large one with straight sides.
Rate this recipe
1 People Rated This Recipe
- (5 / 5)
Author: Yvonne Walus - Recipe writer
Photographer: Melanie Jenkins
First published: Aug 20172019-07-09 15:34:03
Ready to put your health first?
© Healthy Life Media LimitedAll rights reservedReproduction without permission prohibited