Breakfast muffin in a mug
- 3 tablespoons wholemeal flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ cup blueberries, raspberries, or both, fresh or frozen then defrosted
- 2 tablespoons low-fat natural yoghurt
- In a bowl, combine flour, nuts, seeds and baking powder. Add egg and beat into the flour mixture with a fork. Stir in banana and honey.
- Pour into a large microwave-safe mug. Add berries on top and microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds on high. If centre looks wet, microwave another 30 seconds.
- Wait 5 minutes for the muffin to cool. Serve with yoghurt.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 10g
- For extra zing, add 1 teaspoon lemon juice or orange zest.
- You can replace the poppy seeds with flax, sunflower or chia seeds.\
- You can replace the walnuts with pecan or pine nuts, or other strong-flavoured nuts.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour and check baking powder is gluten free.
- This recipe was made in a 1100W microwave, so cooking time will vary depending on the strength of your microwave. Increase or decrease cooking time by 10 seconds and check regularly.
- Start microwaving as soon as you add the berries to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the mug.
- The yoghurt will help cool down the muffin, but be aware that it’ll come out of the microwave extremely hot.
- The best mug to use is a large one with straight sides.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us