Breakfast muffin in a mug
- 3 tablespoons wholemeal flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ cup blueberries, raspberries, or both, fresh or frozen then defrosted
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt
- In a bowl, combine flour, nuts, seeds and baking powder. Add egg and beat into the flour mixture with a fork. Stir in banana and honey.
- Pour into a large microwave-safe mug. Add berries on top and microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds on high. If centre looks wet, microwave another 30 seconds.
- Wait 5 minutes for the muffin to cool. Serve with yoghurt.
- For extra zing, add 1 teaspoon lemon juice or orange zest.
- You can replace the poppy seeds with flax, sunflower or chia seeds.\
- You can replace the walnuts with pecan or pine nuts, or other strong-flavoured nuts.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour and check baking powder is gluten free.
- This recipe was made in a 1100W microwave, so cooking time will vary depending on the strength of your microwave. Increase or decrease cooking time by 10 seconds and check regularly.
- Start microwaving as soon as you add the berries to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the mug.
- The yoghurt will help cool down the muffin, but be aware that it’ll come out of the microwave extremely hot.
- The best mug to use is a large one with straight sides.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like