Chicken, vegetable and barley soup
- 3 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped (leaves reserved)
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn sweetcornXkernels
- ½ cup barley
- 1-2 sprigs fresh thyme, marjoram or oregano
- 3 cups salt-reduced liquid chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 4 thick slices grainy bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely grated hard cheese, to serve
1 Turn slow cooker on to low. Slice chicken thighs and place at the base of slow cooker.
2 Cover with onions, celery, carrot, peas, corn, barley and fresh herbs. Pour in stock and water and cover with lid.
3 Cook for 5-6 hours. Stir once and add courgette 30 minutes before serving.
4 To serve place a bread slice in the base of each serving bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil. Ladle over soup and sprinkle with grated cheese. Serve sprinkled with extra fresh thyme or fresh parsley if you prefer.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 13g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 8g
Make it gluten free: Use brown rice instead of barley and use gluten-free bread. Check stock is gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us