Coconut-poached chicken with Vietnamese salad
Time to make: 40 mins
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1/2 x 400ml can light coconut milk
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock and 1 cup water (or 2 cups water)
- 3cm piece ginger, thickly sliced diagonally
- 1 bunch coriandercilantroX, roots and stems sliced, leaves reserved
- 2 x 250g chicken breast fillets
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- juice of 2 limes (or 1 lemon)
- 1 long red chilli, finely sliced
- 3 carrots, finely grated or julienned
- 3 cups bean sprouts
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 2 granny smith apples, finely grated or julienned
- 1/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 7g
1 Combine coconut milk, stock (or water), ginger and coriander roots and stems in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add chicken. (If chicken isn’t submerged, add enough water to just cover.) Simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until chicken is just cooked. Remove from heat, leaving chicken in coconut broth for 5 more minutes.
2 Transfer chicken to a work surface to cool; shred with a fork. Strain coconut broth and refrigerate (see tip).
3 Meanwhile, to make dressing place all ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to combine, until sugar dissolves.
4 Combine all salad ingredients and half of the coriander leaves in a large salad bowl. Add shredded chicken. Pour dressing over and toss lightly to combine. Scatter salad with peanuts and remaining coriander leaves and serve.
Make it gluten free: Check stock and fish sauce are gluten free.
You can reserve this coconut broth as a base for soup or curry, or for another poached-chicken recipe.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)