Freezer-friendly vegetarian potsticker dumplings
(at time of publication)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 1 cup finely sliced cabbage
- 1 cup finely diced button mushrooms
- 200g firm tofu, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup roughly chopped bean sprouts
- 60 circular dumpling wrappers (around 10cm diameter)
- To cook dumplings
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 recipe of potsticker dumplings (as above)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced in matchsticks
- 1 red capsicum, finely sliced
- 200g snow peas or green beans, halved lengthways
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
1 Heat canola oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, then add carrot and cabbage and cook for a further 2 minutes.
2 Meanwhile place mushrooms, tofu, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and pepper in a bowl and mix.
3 Add tofu mix to the pan and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes, stirring often.
4 Add beaten egg to the mix, stir to combine and remove from heat. Add bean sprouts and spring onion.
5 Prepare a large baking tray lined with baking paper, and a small bowl of water. Lay a few dumpling wrappers on the tray and place a tablespoon of mix in the middle of each (about 10—15g). Dip a finger or a brush in the water and run around the edge of the first dumpling wrapper. Fold the wrapper over the filling and pinch to close (try pleating the edges for a prettier dumpling). Repeat with remaining wrappers until filling is used up.
6 If freezing, cover tray of dumplings with plastic wrap and place in freezer until frozen solid, then separate into portions and freeze in bags or containers for later use.
7 To cook potsticker dumplings, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large frying pan with a lid over medium-high heat. Add half the dumplings in a single layer. Cook until browned (about 3—4 minutes), then add half the water to pan. Cover and continue to cook for 1—2 minutes. Transfer cooked dumplings to a plate and repeat with remaining frozen dumplings.
8 Heat remaining oil in pan and add ginger, garlic, carrot, capsicum, snow peas, spring onions and soy sauce. Cook for 1—2 minutes until vegetables are just tender. Divide vegetables and dumplings between six plates.Garnish with chives, sesame seeds and chilli flakes (if using) and serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.