Gluten-free red velvet cakes
- spray oil, to grease
- ⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced-fat spread
- 1 cup light muscovado sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⅓ cups gluten-free self-raising flour (see tips)
- ½ teaspoon gluten-free baking powder (see tips)
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- zest of 1 large orange, plus extra to decorate
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat Greek yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon concentrated red food colouring
- For the filling
- 4 ⅓ cups cranberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated stevia
- ¾ cup reduced-fat Greek yoghurt
1 Heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Spray a 12-hole mini sandwich tin with oil.
2 Put all the cake ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer until smooth. Spoon the mixture into the holes, then bake for 18–20 min until firm to the touch. Leave to cool for 5 min in the tin, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
3 Meanwhile, put the cranberries in a pan with the stevia and 2 tablespoons water. Cook over a medium heat for 3–4 min until the cranberries soften. Set aside to cool.
4 When the cakes are cold, slice in half horizontally. Use half the filling yoghurt to top the bases, followed by half the cranberries. Replace the sponge tops, then spoon over the rest of the yoghurt and cranberries and decorate with the extra zest.
If you don’t have a mini sandwich tin, you can use silicon cases or a muffin tin lined with paper cases. Instead of slicing the cakes in half, just top with the yogurt and cranberries.
Don’t need your cakes to be gluten-free? Regular self-raising flour and baking powder work just as well.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 4.1g
–Saturated fat 1.1g
Dietary fibre 1g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information