Japanese-style quick pickle
- 2 carrots, julienned (see tips)
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 1 banana shallot, or a regular shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5cm piece of ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple, white wine or rice wine vinegar
- ¹/³ cup chopped fresh coriandercilantroX or thyme.
1 In a colander, place first 5 ingredients. Toss through salt and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse and drain well.
2 In a medium bowl, combine ginger, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and coriander.
3 Add vegetables, toss and chill for 2-3 hours before serving. Use on day of making.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 0g
–Saturated fat 0g
Dietary fibre 1.5g
Make it gluten free: Check soy sauce and vinegar are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use a vegan vinegar.
If you don’t have a julienne peeler, use a vegetable peeler to create ribbons or grate the carrot and cucumber.
Ideal with sushi, cold meats, fish or kebabs.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us