Kate’s savoury mince (with hidden vegetables)
- 1 medium carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 medium courgettezucchiniX, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup roughly chopped mixed vegetables (the more variety the better, eg. broccoli, mushroom, cauliflower, silver beet, celery, cabbage, even a little pumpkin or kumarasweet-potatoX)
- 500g lean minced beef
- spray oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt-reduced beef stock powder
- ½ cup red wine (optional)
- 1 jar tomato pasta sauce or 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½-1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½-1 teaspoon dried basil or 2 sprigs fresh basil
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh parsley if you have it
1 Blend all vegetables in a food processor or with a blender until puréed.
2 Brown meat in a spray of oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Drain mince well, then return to pan and add puréed uncooked vegetables.
3 Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes (60 minutes is ideal to allow flavours to develop), stirring regularly.
4 Serve with rice or use in lasagne, over corn chips or in place of bolognese sauce over pasta.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock powder.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 3g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like