Lamb and freekeh stew with mint relish
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 500g lean lamb leg steaks, fat trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, plus extra, to garnish
- ½ cup wholegrain freekeh
- 2 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
- 2 bunches steamed broccolini or 250g green beans, to serve
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Preheat the oven to 150°C. Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a high heat. Cook lamb, in batches, for 2–3 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
2 Add the remaining oil, onion, celery and fennel to same pan over medium heat, stirring, for 6–7 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic, fennel seeds and zest; cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add freekeh; stir until the grains are well coated. Add the chicken stock and bring the ingredients to the boil.
3 Cover saucepan and bake for 1½ hours, or until lamb is very tender and freekeh is al dente.
4 Serve the stew with steamed greens, sprinkled with the extra zest, mint and pine nuts.
Freekah is available as both whole or cracked. The cracked form cooks more quickly, while the whole grain holds its shape during cooking. The choice is yours.
Double quantities and freeze half in airtight containers. Simply defrost and reheat for a quick lunch or dinner.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 13.5g
–Saturated fat 3.1g
Dietary fibre 9.4g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.