Tofu, vegetable and holy basil stir-fry
- 3 red bird’s eye chillies
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 150g firm tofu, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon dark soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- pinch of white pepper
- ½ onion, chopped
- ¼ red capsicum, sliced
- ¼ yellow capsicum, sliced
- ¼ cup green beans, cut into 2cm pieces
- handful of holy basil/Tulsi leaves (if you can't find these, substitute with Thai basil)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, chopped
- 1¼ cups steamed jasmine rice, to serve
1 Using either a pestle and mortar, grind the chillies and garlic to a paste. Heat the oil in a wok set over a high heat. Add the chilli and garlic mixture and stir-fry for about 30 seconds, until nice and golden brown.
2 Now add the tofu, both soy sauces, the sugar and white pepper and cook, tossing everything around in the pan, for about 1 minute, until the tofu is well coated and has taken on a little colour from the sauces.
3 Once everything is mixed well, add the onion, capsicums and beans and cook for a further 30 seconds, all the while tossing the mixture together. Throw in the basil and lime leaves and stir-fry for a further 30 seconds. Serve immediately with jasmine rice.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
–Saturated fat 1.4g
Dietary fibre 4.5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information