Lentil, pumpkin and spinach dhal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 small red chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 300g peeled pumpkin, diced
- ¾ cup (150g) red lentils, rinsed, drained
- 2 cups water
- 120g baby spinach
- cracked black pepper
- ½ cup low-fat natural yoghurt, to serve
- 2 naan breads, warmed, halved, to serve
1 Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Gently fry onion for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli, mustard seeds and turmeric; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
2 Add tomatoes to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the pumpkin, lentils and water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15–20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender and thick. Add the baby spinach and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until wilted. Season with pepper.
3 Serve the dhal with yoghurt and warmed naan bread.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 9g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread or pappadams and check ground turmeric is gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us