Mexican bean soup with salsa and tortilla chips
- Oil spray 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1½ teaspoons chipotle paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 3/4 cups vegetable stock made with 2 low-salt cubes
- 600g canned chopped tomatoes
- 500g canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 450g canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups frozen sweetcorn
- Lime wedges, to serve
- For the tortilla chips
- 3 small soft flour tortillas
- Oil spray
- For the salsa
- 1 small ripe avocado
- Juice and zest 1 lime
- 1 fresh green chilli, seeds removed, finely sliced
- 3 tablespoon fresh coriandercilantroX, roughly chopped
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Spray a large pan with oil and put over a low-medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 8 min or until very soft. Add the chipotle paste and cumin and cook for 1–2 min until fragrant.
2 Add the stock and tomatoes and bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 min or until the liquid has reduced slightly. Add the beans and sweetcorn and cook for a further 5 min.
3 Meanwhile, make the tortilla chips. Cut the tortillas into small triangles and spray on both sides with oil. Lay the triangles in a single layer on a baking sheet, then toast in the oven for 4–6 min, without turning, until golden and crisp. Keep an eye on them as they can burn easily.
4 For the salsa, cut the avocado into small cubes, put in a bowl with the lime juice and zest, chilli and chopped coriander.
Serve the soup hot in bowls with the salsa and tortilla chips, with the lime wedges on the side.
To make vegan, check tortilla chips do not contain dairy.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 15g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.