Mexican chilli bean soup
- cooking spray oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 yellow capsicum, cut into 1cm dice
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 punnet or 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 very low salt vegetable stock cube dissolved in 3 ¾ cups of boiling water
- 400g can kidney beans in water, drained and rinsed
- 1 ¼ cups frozen sweetcorn
- 2 wholegrain tortillas, halved
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh coriandercilantroX, plus extra leaves to garnish
- 4 tablespoons low-fat soured cream
- 1 small ripe avocado, flesh diced
1 Spray a large saucepan (that has a lid) with oil and set over a medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic for 3–4 min until softened. Add the pepper, chilli flakes, paprika and cumin. Cook, stirring often, for 4–5 min until the pepper starts to soften.
2 Add the cherry tomatoes, canned tomatoes, stock, beans and corn to the pan, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover the pan and simmer for 30–35 min until the cherry tomatoes are tender. When the soup is nearly ready, warm the tortillas according to the pack instructions.
3 Stir the chopped coriander into the soup, then ladle it into 4 bowls. Top with soured cream and diced avocado, then garnish with extra coriander leaves and ground black pepper.
Serve with the tortillas.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9.9g
–Saturated fat 2.7g
Dietary fibre 12g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.