Moroccan chickpea soup
(at time of publication)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, diced
- 2 sticks celery, trimmed, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons Moroccan seasoning
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX in spring water, rinsed, drained
- 400g can chopped tomatoes, no added salt
- 2 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock (or chicken stock) and 1 cup water
- black pepper, to season
- low-fat yoghurt, to serve (optional)
- fresh coriandercilantroX leaves, to garnish
1 Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add garlic and seasoning. Cook for 1 minute.
2 Add chickpeas, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
3 Place half the soup in a blender. Blend until smooth. Return to pan with remaining soup. Place over a medium heat, season with pepper and warm through. Ladle into bowls, top with a dollop of yoghurt (if using) and garnish with coriander.
For extra flavour, add 1 cup of shredded cooked lean chicken when reheating this soup in step 3.
Make it gluten free: Check seasoning, stock and yoghurt are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 6g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 12g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information