Spicy pork and mushroom hotpot
- 600g pork scotch fillet steaks, fat trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 6 shallots, halved
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lemongrass stick, bruised
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- 2 cups gluten-free reduced-salt beef stock
- 2 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, roughly chopped
- 200g shiitake mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 bunches choy sum, trimmed, cut into 6cm lengths
- 150g sugar snap peas
- lime wedges, to serve
1 Lightly spray a large ovenproof saucepan with olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add half the pork and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining pork.
2 Return all pork to pan. Add eschalots, garlic, lemongrass and half the chilli, stirring to coat. Add soy sauce, Chinese five spice, 1 cup water and stock, then cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.
3 Remove lid and cook for a further 30 minutes. Add courgettes and mushroom and cook, uncovered, for 10–15 minutes or until sauce has thickened
and vegetables are tender.
4 Meanwhile, cook choy sum and sugar snap peas in a saucepan of boiling water for 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to hot pot, stirring to combine. Sprinkle remaining chilli over hotpot and serve with lime wedges on the side.
You can swap the shallots for two chopped brown onions, and the shiitake mushrooms for halved button mushrooms.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 4g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 9.7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.