Spinach, sun-dried tomato and parmesan filo rolls
Time to make: 55 mins
( Hands-on time: 30 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- 1/2 cup oil-free sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups frozen spinach (200g), defrosted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons (30g) pine nuts
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg white
- freshly ground black pepper
- oil spray
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- 6 tablespoons wholemeal breadcrumbs
- Pasta salad
- 3 cups cooked risoni pasta
- 6 cups rocketarugulaX leaves
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 6 tablespoons balsamic dressing (made with 2 parts balsamic vinegar to 1 part olive oil)
Total fat 16g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 6g
1 Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Heat oil in a non-stick pan and cook onion and garlic until softened. Stir in basil, tomatoes, spinach, nutmeg and pine nuts. Cook for a few minutes. Take off the heat and mix in cheeses, egg white and seasoning.
2 Preheat oven to 190°C. Take 2 sheets of filo pastry, lay on baking tray. Spray with oil and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Add 2 more sheets, repeat process and press sheets together lightly. Repeat with the other 4 sheets.
3 Spoon half the cheese mixture along one long edge of filo, leaving a 3cm border.
4 Starting at the long end, roll up, folding in the border. Roll firmly and tightly and place seam side down on tray. Repeat with the other layer. Lightly spray. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
5 Meanwhile prepare salad by mixing all ingredients together. Slice the rolls into even-sized pieces and serve with pasta salad.
For step-by-step instructions (and pictures) on how to use filo pastry, see our feature I filo good!
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us