Spinach, sun-dried tomato and parmesan filo rolls
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- ½ cup oil-free sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups frozen spinach (200g), defrosted
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons (30g) pine nuts
- ¾ cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg white
- freshly ground black pepper
- spray oil
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- 6 tablespoons wholemeal breadcrumbs
- Pasta salad
- 3 cups cooked risoni pasta
- 6 cups rocketarugulaX leaves
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 6 tablespoons balsamic dressing (made with 2 parts balsamic vinegar to 1 part olive oil)
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Heat oil in a non-stick pan and cook onion and garlic until softened. Stir in basil, tomatoes, spinach, nutmeg and pine nuts. Cook for a few minutes. Take off the heat and mix in cheeses, egg white and seasoning.
2 Preheat oven to 190°C. Take 2 sheets of filo pastry, lay on baking tray. Spray with oil and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Add 2 more sheets, repeat process and press sheets together lightly. Repeat with the other 4 sheets.
3 Spoon half the cheese mixture along one long edge of filo, leaving a 3cm border.
4 Starting at the long end, roll up, folding in the border. Roll firmly and tightly and place seam side down on tray. Repeat with the other layer. Lightly spray. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
5 Meanwhile prepare salad by mixing all ingredients together. Slice the rolls into even-sized pieces and serve with pasta salad.
For step-by-step instructions (and pictures) on how to use filo pastry, see our feature I filo good!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.