Rhubarb and red apple crumble
- Fruit filling
- 1 red apple, cored and coarsely grated
- 4 rhubarb stalks (about 250g), coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- sest and juice of ½ orange
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Crumble topping
- ¼ cup cooked tri-colour quinoa
- ¼ cup rolled oatsoatmeal uncookedX
- 1 tablespoon pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ½ cup low-fat plain yoghurt, to serve
1 Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the apples, the rhubarb, vanilla, the orange zest and juice and maple syrup into a medium saucepan, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the rhubarb is soft. Divide the fruit equally between four ramekins.
2 Place quinoa, oats, pepitas, coconut flakes and the ginger into a bowl, pour over the oil and the maple syrup, and mix to combine ingredients.
3 Spoon the crumble topping in generous piles on top of the fruit and bake for 25 minutes, or until the crumble is golden brown. Serve with the yoghurt.
Not a big fan of tangy rhubarb? Use a little more vanilla or maple syrup the first time you cook this crumble, or swap for frozen berries.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5.2g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 3.6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information