(at time of publication)
- 1 ¼ cups trim milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways or 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon castor sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflourcornstarchX
1 Heat milk with vanilla pod and allow to just come to the boil. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar. Mix cornflour with 2 tablespoons water to make a paste.
2 Pour hot milk over egg yolks while whisking vigorously with a whisk. When completely mixed in, return to pan with cornflour.
3 Stir over a low heat until mixture thickens to coat back of spoon. This will take 5-6 minutes. Remove vanilla pod. Use as required.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free cornflour.
*Use this custard to make these recipes:
- Save egg whites for future use to make meringue or for glazing.
- If storing custard, keep vanilla pod in custard until ready to serve to allow the vanilla flavour to develop.
- To make the vanilla custard in the microwave, heat milk for 1 1/2 minutes on full power in a microwave-proof bowl. Prepare as in step 2, returning the mix to a microwave bowl. Heat on high for 3 minutes, whisking every 30 seconds.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 2g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 0g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us