(at time of publication)
- 1 ¼ cups skim milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways or 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon castor sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflourcornstarchX
1 Heat milk with vanilla pod and allow to just come to the boil. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar. Mix cornflour with 2 tablespoons water to make a paste.
2 Pour hot milk over egg yolks while whisking vigorously with a whisk. When completely mixed in, return to pan with cornflour.
3 Stir over a low heat until mixture thickens to coat back of spoon. This will take 5-6 minutes. Remove vanilla pod. Use as required.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free cornflour.
*Use this custard to make these recipes:
- Save egg whites for future use to make meringue or for glazing.
- If storing custard, keep vanilla pod in custard until ready to serve to allow the vanilla flavour to develop.
- To make the vanilla custard in the microwave, heat milk for 1 1/2 minutes on full power in a microwave-proof bowl. Prepare as in step 2, returning the mix to a microwave bowl. Heat on high for 3 minutes, whisking every 30 seconds.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 2g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 0g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.